- There are more than eight million lightning strikes around the world every day.
2. On average, 75% of the electricity used to power electronic devices is used while they are on standby.
3. Europe and North Africa could run on 100% renewable energy by 2050.
4. Only 10% of energy in a lightbulb is used to create light, while ninety percent of a lightbulb's energy creates heat.
5. Romans were the first to use geothermal energy to heat their homes, with warm air moving under floors and inside walls.
6. In 2016, Portugal ran on renewable energy alone for 107 hours, which set a new world record!
7. The energy needed to run a single Google search could power a 60W bulb for 17 seconds.
8. Naturally, gas is mostly odourless. Sulphur compounds have been added to help spot when there has been a gas leak.
9. Around 15 trillion watts of power are used around the world at any one time.
10. A typical microwave uses more electricity to keep its digital clock on standby than it does heating food.