We understand that this is a difficult time for you, so we want to make this process as straightforward as possible. Here is everything you need to know about arranging an account if the owner has passed away.
What do I do first?
Here is what you need to provide:
- Make sure you have their details (address, date of death and account number)
- An updated meter reading
- Details of the person getting affairs in order (full name, address, phone number). This is usually an executor if there is a will, or an administrator if not
How do I get in touch?
If you want to close the account, or put it in another name, get in touch with our customer service team on 0330 0414 902 or email email@example.com
What should I do if the person who passed away owned the property?
Don't worry! We'll help you through everything once you get in touch. However, here's an idea of what will happen:
- If there's someone else living in the property that is named on the account, we can simply change the name
- If they aren't named on the account, they will have to get in touch. We will need consent to put the estate into their name before we can make the changes
- If someone has inherited the property, they will need to set up a new gas and electric account. Prepayment meters may accrue debt, so if you get a new card, you won't need to pay off this debt
- If the property is going to be sold, we will need the most recent meter reading possible. Then we'll send you a bill and put a hold on the account.
What should I do if the person who passed away rented the property from me?
- Let us know when they passed away
- Send us an accurate meter reading when the keys are given back
- We'll close the account and send a final bill to the person dealing with the account
- You may be asked to provide a tenancy agreement between yourself and the tenant.